Monday, June 6, 2011

Reflection #4

I have learned how to cut fruit.

Hahahaha.

But seriously. I have.
I am now an expert at cutting tropical fruit. You know how in Minnesota, on those rare occasiones that one buys a pineapple or mango, its like, ¨wow, this is kind of a struggle, how do I do this again?¨ or ¨What is the best way to go about it this time?¨
(Well, at least to me that happened, cause I rarely cut watermelon, pineapple, or mango!)
But now? I cut fruit like a regular Guatemalan fruit vendor.
I am an expert at cutting papaya. I even know that the secret to making it REAL good is to puncture the skin with knife slices as soon as you buy it, to make sure the acid can escape and the fruit is not too bitter by the time you want to cut it.
(Yes, I know. Professional, right?)
I mean, how many people can say they cut papaya on the regular?
Also, piña and mangos are now my specialties. I can cut a mean mango. Lets see. Papaya, mango, watermelon, pineapple, those are the basics.
Never cut up so much tropical fruit before in my LIFE!

And then of course, there´s the ¨Guatemalan¨ fruit. Jocotes, nisparos, etc. And then those weird red spiky looking fruits. Fruits that I´m pretty sure don´t even have a NAME in English! They are just too plain tropical! I mean, seriously. Nisparo? I had never even heard of that! Just one of those things that doesn´t exist in the states. Or, Minnesota at least.

Wow. Can´t wait to get back to the states and eat apples, bananas and oranges.
(Sarcasm)
I am going to miss my cheap, fresh, tropical fruit WAAY TOO MUCH.
But, that is my reflection for the day. I cut fruit like you could never imagine.
Thank you.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment