As I had feared, my reflections have gotten far too few and far between since i stopped working and dont have constant access to a computer!
But, I do what I can to get out a few more in the...5 days and counting that I have in this country.
Know what I was reflecting on today??¿
The fact that I have..whats the word..molded¿? Meshed¿ into this culture, and its going to be difficult to take up some of the Us culture habits again.
Will I start greeting everybody on the streets? Good morning, good afternoon, and goodnight to random strangers? (is that normal?!)
Will I get offended by people who whiz by me on the streets, on a mission, and dont glance up and nod buenas tardes?
Will I expect every man, boy, and elderly man to stare and make eye contact everytime they pass? (Some, of course, are more polite than others,) It will actually be nice to be able to walk down the streets in shorts and not hear whistles or shouts or under the breath comments. Actually, it will be nice to just wear shorts! I have adapted a much more conservative dress style here, if I go out in shorts in my neighborhood, I feel much too indecent. It will be so great to wear shorts without feeling indecent.. so Excited!!
What else. I feel like the LOUDNess of the American culture will shock me. Everything here is so quiet and nobody complains. Nobody complains if the bus to Xela is waaay too hot and the driver has not opened the windows yet, people just wait, sweating, until he does it. They are just a very polite people.
Another thing. Will I have naturally more-alert instincts? Or however you say that in english? Here, I dont walk alone ANYWHERE after 9pm. EVER. I remember last time, coming home, and walking in the streets of St. Joe coming home from Sals, it was like, WHAT!? We can actually do this!? We dont need to call a taxi!?
Being here has hightened my senses to potential danger, and has made me a lot more careful. I never ever open the door to my house without looking out the window first. Is that normal?
I cant keep my door open during the day. My windows have metal bars on the outsides.
It all feels so normal.
But I really think Ivè just adjusted.
It will be very interesting to see what cultural aspects I retain from Guatemala, and which ones about the states seem SO WEIRD to me.
That will make for some interesting reflection later, I think.
See you in 5 days.
No comments:
Post a Comment